PROJECTS / ACTIVITIES
- NRCDC began its current home ownership project in the Greater Duffyfield and Pembroke communities in 2004. Weyerhaeuser Real Estate Company donated six homes purchased to make way for a new development to the City of New Bern in late 2004. NRCDC partnered with the City of New Bern to move and rehabilitate six of the homes for low to moderate income families in Greater Duffyfield and Pembroke. We have completed all six homes to first-time homebuyers. It would not have been possible without partnerships. We have had many partners in this endeavors, namely, Greater Duffyfield Residents Council (a grassroots organization), City of New Bern staff, faith-based organizations, volunteers, Twin Rivers Opportunities (HUD) (providing home ownerships counseling), New Bern Real Estate, and CAHEC (through its first round of Open Door Home Ownership Grants),Craven County, Habitat for Humanity, and many many others.
- NRCDC acquired Green Park Terrace Apartments from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and renovated them into a 34-unit senior apartment complex and community building, renamed Autumn Chase.
- NRCDC conveyed eleven (11) lots along Walt Bellamy Drive to Habitat for Humanity for the construction of eleven (11) new homes, and is currently working with Habitat on seven (7) new and/or renovated single family homes on Fowlers Lane and two (2) on "A" Street.
- NRCDC works with the Department of Housing and Urban Development, the City of New Bern and others to acquire foreclosures at reduced costs. We then market these homes to lower income residents. NRCDC sold its first single family home as a result of this partnership.
- NRCDC partners with other governmental and non-governmental agencies to improve the housing, economic, health, and social conditions of low wealth communities in New Bern and Craven County.
- NRCDC, along with some of its partners, provides Community Voices Leadership Development Training.
- NRCDC facilitates and coordinates home ownership counseling and training through Twin Rivers Opportunities (HUD).
- NRCDC accepts donations of real property to further its mission of expanding affordable housing and economic opportunities in New Bern and Craven County.
A very special thank you to the following organizations and individuals:
- City of New Bern
- Grace Hudson
- Greater Duffyfield Residents Council
- Biblical House of God
- Clinton Chapel AME Zion Church
- The House of Israel Ministries
- Trent River Realty
- Caroline Avery
- McIlwean Turf Farm
- Centenary UMC Church
- Twin Rivers Opportunities (HUD)
- Self-Help Credit Union
- New Bern Real Estate
- New Bern Board of Realtors
- New Bern Building Supply
- Craven County
- Jimmy Collins
- Bank of America
- NC Highway Patrol
- BSH - James & Jimmie
- NRCDC Board
- JL Kirkman's Screen Printing
- Willie Snow
- Avolis Engineering
- Rotary Club of New Bern